I thought it’d be fun if I revealed 38 random facts about me (one for each year of my life so far). If you’re up for it, please leave me some random facts about you in the comments section down below! Right, let’s get started. Here are thirty-eight totally random facts about me …
1. I won’t ever get into bed without showering first.
2. I never wash my hair in the shower (I wash it daily in my laundry room sink). In fact, every woman in my immediate family does this – we’ve never washed our hair in the shower. I can’t speak for them, but I know for me personally, I hate the thought of hair falling off my head and onto my body and the shower floor. Ick.
3. I played with Barbie dolls well into my pre-teen years.
4. I absolutely hate the smell of onions and garlic.
5. Watching Dumb & Dumber (1994) makes me feel physically sick. My parents and I went to watch that movie at the cinema when it first came out and I had to leave halfway through because I felt like I was going to throw up. Every time I’ve tried to watch that movie since, I’ve always felt nauseous.
6. I don’t like The Lion King (1994).
7. I’ve been reading Archie comic books since I was 7 years old. All these years later, I still buy them monthly.
8. I used to be a competitive swimmer.
9. I’m a trained lifeguard.
10. I love ballet.
11. My older sister (by 5 years) tried to kill me when I was a toddler. She was almost 7 at the time and was very jealous of the attention my parents were giving me, so she thought it’d be a good idea to murder me. Thank goodness for poor planning and a failed execution.
12. I read the Toronto Star newspaper every day.
13. I don’t drink alcohol.
14. Michelle Pfeiffer is my favourite Catwoman.
15. I love watching British period dramas.
16. I hate wearing open shoes in the summer. Both my Dad and I have always hated getting our feet out and because we’ve kept them tucked away safely in socks all our lives, they’re as soft and smooth as a baby’s tush.
17. I am a self-confessed clean freak. I deep clean my living space once every week without fail.
18. I subscribed to YouTube Premium because I hate the ads so damn much.
19. I prefer winter over summer.
20. I start counting down to Christmas on December 26th. Yes, I’m one of those annoying people who absolutely loves Christmas.
21. I love receiving surprise deliveries of flowers. It’s very rare – especially considering how long I’ve been single – but when it happens, my whole face lights up and I feel like I’m on cloud nine. It’s a wonderful feeling knowing someone special in your life thought of you and took the time to send you something beautiful.
22. I love villains more than I love heroes.
23. My favourite holiday film is It’s A Wonderful Life (1946).
24. My favourite film decade is the 1930s (followed very closely by the ’20s and ’40s).
25. Though I’m an animal lover, I’ve never had a pet of my own.
26. In 2015, I quit an office job I had had since 2005 because my boss sexually harassed me during a closed door meeting. Friends, know your worth and never let anyone intimidate you or browbeat you. You’re stronger than you know.
27. My go-to comfort watches are classic British sitcoms like Are You Being Served?, Keeping Up Appearances and The Vicar of Dibley.
28. The first car I ever purchased was a bright red Mini Cooper.
29. Kate Winslet is my favourite (modern) actress.
30. I studied The Business of Fashion at college and Magazine & Web Publishing and Trade Publishing at university.
31. My uniform is jeans + t-shirt + sweater
32. If I had the chance to go back and re-live my whole high school experience, I would in a heartbeat. That was such an amazing time in my life and I think about high school all the time. If you’re my age (and Canadian), you will have gone through five years of high school – Grades 9 to 13.
33. Breaking up with my second serious boyfriend was the worst decision I ever made in my life and I regret it to this day.
34. When I was a teenager, my idol was Shirley Manson. She still is, actually.
35. I hate beaches but I love the sound of the ocean.
36. I absolutely love tattoos but I don’t have any of my own (yet).
37. I’m 5’7″
38. I can speak only one language (English), but I understand both Italian and French.